The golf course dates back as far as 1897 under the name of Jefferson County Golf Club. The golf club operated under this name for several years while being owned by the Ives Hill Land Company. In 1953, Jefferson County Golf Club was officially renamed Ives Hill Country Club. During the earlier years (1897 - 1953) the club underwent numerous transformations and changes to the playing grounds. In 1919, a nine acre parcel of land was purchased across Ives Street in order to add length to the course. In 1920, the golf course was redesigned by New York Architect Peter D. Lees. During this reconstruction, nearly all of the nine holes were changed and six of the greens were moved to new locations. In 1922, the original clubhouse was destroyed by fire. In 1923, the new clubhouse was designed by Addison F. Lansing of Watertown and built for an estimated cost of $30,000. In 1964, the present holes numbered 1, 3, and 13 were designed to end play across Ives Street. In 1968 - 1969 initial steps were taken towards expansion to an 18 hole golf course. New York's well-known Geoffrey Cornish was hired as the architect. In 1971, a new group of stockholders acquired control of Ives Hill Land Company. In 1972 - 1973 the new nine holes were constructed to suit the new Cornish design. In 1973, the clubhouse was yet again destroyed by fire. In July of 1974, the new nine holes were open for play.
Ives Hill Country club was operated by the Ives Hill Land Company until 2004 when it was purchased by a family from the Binghamton area. In 2007, the club was sold again and it's name reverted back to Ives Hill Country Club. When purchased in 2007, the clubhouse underwent a complete makeover. Space was added to the clubhouse, separating the dining room and lounge, a new kitchen was installed, new bar and all new decor. The Pro Shop, locker rooms and downstairs were also completely refurbished.
During the 2007 season, the course also received renovations including new bunker sand, and new tee boxes were added to allow a shorter course. A new practice green was built and all new landscaping was installed around clubhouse grounds.
Over the years, the club has seen many changes to the land and the ownership, but still remains a vital part to the heart of the City of Watertown and the surrounding areas.